Tuesday 4 May 2010

My Most Recent Project.

So basically, this brief was about Political Fashion, taking a current political issue and arguing for or against it with the use of fashion, by creating a magazine spread (amongst other things) to get our arguements across. I looked into body image within the fashion industry and how people within the fashion industry can be so small minded towards using 'Real Women' as models. I was so surprised to see how one size can come in so many shapes and sizes. I know that sounds stupid but I photographed several different women who were all a size 8, yet their body shapes were all so different. The fashion industry claim that their standard sample size is a size 8, so please tell me, if this is so, then why are we not seeing more of these beautiful, curvy women on the catwalks and in fashion magazines?? A couple of examples of exactly what I mean...The idea behind these photographs was that they are meant to be kinda like prisoner mug shots as the curvy, 'real women' have been imprisoned away from the fashion industry if you will.



The magazine spread was supposed to be based on one publication that we chose ourselves. I chose TANK and if you have not read or looked through TANK magazine then shame on you because it's awesome, so get looking. For my spread I went with a sort of evolution idea, consisting of three stages. The first stage is supposed to be that these women are unwanted, tossed aside curvy models, hence why they are in dustbins. In the second stage the models are fresh, new and innocent looking. I had the idea of newborn spring lambs in my head when I was planning this shoot, strange but it appeared to have worked. And finally the third stage was studio based as the models were meant to appear, edgy, high fashion and 'accepted' by the fashion industry. I don't know if you get this feel from the shoot but there is a explanation and here is an example of a few of my final images...



No comments:

Post a Comment